Sweet potatoes with sausage and sage make a happy dish. I get a lot of recipe requests when I serve this hearty hash with apples and carrots. —Courtney Stultz, Columbus, KS
Featured In: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large tart apple, peeled & chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Microwave, covered, on high for 6-8 minutes or until tender, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Add apple and carrot; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until carrot is just tender, stirring occasionally. Return sausage to pan. Stir in potatoes and seasonings; cook, covered, 10-12 minutes or until carrot is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Sausage & Sweet Potatoes in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p51
Reviews for Hearty Sausage & Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review