Hearty Salisbury Steaks
I love serving Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and vegetables. With its down-home taste, this meal disappears fast! —Dorothy Bayes, Sardis, Ohio
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine onion, saltines, egg substitute and pepper.
- Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into five patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties; cook 3-4
- minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties and
- keep warm; discard drippings.
- Combine water, soup mix and flour; stir into skillet. Bring to a
- boil. Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5-7
- minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 patty with 1/4 cup gravy equals 233 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,