- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 24 slices snack rye bread
- Fresh parsley sprigs, stems removed
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add chili powder and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Spread a heaping tablespoonful onto each slice of bread. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges of bread begin to crisp. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Hearty Rye Melts in Country April/May 2006, p49
Reviews for Hearty Rye Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2009
"My family has made these for almost 15 years. It has become a Sunday Football appetizer."