Hearty Rye Melts
When we moved from the Midwest to Kentucky, we were invited to a neighborhood gathering, where this appetizer was served. “Hanky panky”—as it’s often called around here—is traditionally served at Derby Day parties, but at our home it’s become a year-round favorite.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 24 slices snack rye bread
- Fresh parsley sprigs, stems removed
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and sausage over medium heat until
- no longer pink; drain. Add chili powder and cheese; cook and stir
- until cheese is melted. Spread a heaping tablespoonful onto each
- slice of bread. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges of bread begin to
- crisp. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 2 each equals 167 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 422 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.