Hearty Rye Melts Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 24 slices snack rye bread
- Fresh parsley sprigs, stems removed
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add chili powder and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Spread a heaping tablespoonful onto each slice of bread. Place on a baking sheet.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges of bread begin to crisp. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
2 each: 167 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein .
Reviews for Hearty Rye Melts
"We make a similar take on this. One lb sausage like Bob Evans. One lb Velvetta. Loaf of small cocktail rye bread. Brown sausage, drain, cut-up velvetta in sausage and melt all through. Mix well. spoon one heaping tbls on each rye. Put on a baking sheet. 350 for 10 min.yum"
"My family has made these for almost 15 years. It has become a Sunday Football appetizer."