Hearty Root Vegetable Soup
I've received many recipe requests for this beefy soup loaded with winter veggies. If you're feeding a larger group, simply double the ingredients.
—Arlene Adams, Grafton, Massachusetts
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped peeled turnip
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in the broth, potatoes, turnip, carrot, parsley and thyme.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add
- cabbage; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 105 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.