Hearty Ribs and Beans Recipe
"Everyone likes this tasty meal-in-a-dish," reports Marlene Muckenhirn, a field editor from Delano, Minnesota.
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds country-style pork spareribs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1. Place ribs in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Drain, reserving liquid; skim fat. Set ribs aside.
- 2. Add enough water to liquid to equal 1 cup; place in a saucepan. Add the tomato sauce, soup mix, brown sugar, mustard and hot sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes; reserve 1/2 cup.
- 3. To the remaining sauce, add the beans, celery and red pepper. Pour into the baking dish; add ribs. Pour reserved sauce over ribs. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 472 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC