Hearty Red Beans and Rice Recipe
I picked up this recipe while working for the Navy in New Orleans. It's a mouthwatering combination of meats, beans and seasonings. I take this dish to many potlucks and never fail to bring home an empty pot.— Kathy Jacques, Chesterfield, Michigan
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, diced
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour to 4 hours or until softened.
- 2. Drain beans and discard liquid. Add the garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute ham and sausage until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to bean mixture. Saute onion and celery in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to bean mixture. Stir in tomato sauce and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- 4. Discard bay leaves. Measure 2 cups of beans; mash and return to the bean mixture. Stir in the parsley, salt and pepper. Serve over rice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 276 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 1,149 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Red Beans and Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC