Hearty Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, diced
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour to 4 hours or until softened.
- 2. Drain beans and discard liquid. Add the garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute ham and sausage until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to bean mixture. Saute onion and celery in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to bean mixture. Stir in tomato sauce and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- 4. Discard bay leaves. Measure 2 cups of beans; mash and return to the bean mixture. Stir in the parsley, salt and pepper. Serve over rice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 cup: 276 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1149mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Red Beans and Rice
"Zatarain's being my only previous experience with red beans & rice, I'm no expert on traditional cajun cooking, but we thoroughly enjoyed this! Next time I may step up the heat just a bit."
"This was dry, but tasty!"