Hearty Red Beans & Rice Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add beans, soup, salsa and Italian seasoning; heat through. Serve with rice.
- 2. Freeze option: Cool and place in a freezer container; freeze up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup sausage mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 403 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,031 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.