Hearty Raisin Bread Recipe
Although I just recently moved to the country, I love from-scratch cooking, and baking bread is a favorite pastime. This rich bread has a delectable cinnamon flavor and is loaded with raisins.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, honey, salt, cinnamon, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; sprinkle with raisins and knead in. Divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 161 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC