Although I just recently moved to the country, I love from-scratch cooking, and baking bread is a favorite pastime. This rich bread has a delectable cinnamon flavor and is loaded with raisins.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, honey, salt, cinnamon, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; sprinkle with raisins and knead in. Divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Hearty Raisin Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p38
Reviews for Hearty Raisin Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2011
"This was very good, but didn't take as much flour as indicated. Also, next time I will try it with half the raisins - 2 cups was too much"