- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place onions, celery, carrot and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add vegetable mixture and nutmeg; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add beef; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings from pan.
- In same pan, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Return beef mixture to pan. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until wine is evaporated. Add broth and chicken breasts; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Finely chop chicken.
- Add cream and tomato paste; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pot; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until flavors are blended, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Hearty Ragu Bolognese in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p13
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Ragu Bolognese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review