- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
"I have been making this soup since it was published in 1993. I cut the celery to 3 ribs and I usually use skim milk. I also add ham and mild cheddar cheese. One of the great things about this soup, besides the flavor, is you can make it as thick or as thin as you like by the amount of broth you add back in. I have frozen it and it's fine. This was one of the first recipes my daughter wanted when she was away at college."
"Thank you for sharing this recipe. I did everything the same except I didn't have onions so I used onion powder and about 5tsp of Knorr chicken bouillon in the cooking water. It is really a simple yet yummy and satisfying and good for picky eaters."
"Really great basic potato soup recipe. It was simple and delicious. I added white cheddar to the soup at the end. Also topped with bacon and additional cheese. Such an easy recipe to build on!"
"Waw its Great i make it here www.restaurantboss.blogspot.com"
"Delicious! I did add about 3 cloves of garlic to the the veggie cook. I didn't have any regular milk, but had my coconut milk, (unsweetened, and unflavored), 1 cup, and 1/2 cup cream, so those are the only changes I made. It was so creamy and smooth! We loved it. I think I will add some clams that we just put in the freezer, tomorrow and turn it into clam chowder ! Love rolling something over into another yummy something. I do have a lot of leftover. There is just two of us. I think it has a very sublime flavor. We topped it like it was a baked potato, cheese, bacon bits, chives. Yum. Thanks :)"