Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
"BEST POtato soup I've ever made!!!!!"
"I thought this was a great recipe! I always have trouble finding potato soups that do not include chicken broth and i finally found a keeper!Although i added a couple extra ingredients, this is the perfect base recipe for a non chicken broth potato soup!!! What i did different- I put the onions in with the vegetables & added garlic while it simmered to make the "veggie broth"! In a separate pan, i fried up some cabbage with bacon bits. I made the roux and then added in a handful of cheddar cheese when i added the milk, along with some onion powder and garlic salt for a boost of flavor. I dumped all the vegetables back in the pot, added ALL of my veggie broth and tossed in a handful of bacon bits at the end! It's perfect!!"
"this is a very good recipe"
"It is a delicious recipe with chicken broth."
"My son and I followed the recipe, but added a cup of ham (Easter) when we added the potatoes and veggies back to the pan. I also added some garlic and used a can of Stock instead of the cooking liquid. Planning to add cheese and sour cream on top in our bowls."