- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
"Delicious! I did add about 3 cloves of garlic to the the veggie cook. I didn't have any regular milk, but had my coconut milk, (unsweetened, and unflavored), 1 cup, and 1/2 cup cream, so those are the only changes I made. It was so creamy and smooth! We loved it. I think I will add some clams that we just put in the freezer, tomorrow and turn it into clam chowder ! Love rolling something over into another yummy something. I do have a lot of leftover. There is just two of us. I think it has a very sublime flavor. We topped it like it was a baked potato, cheese, bacon bits, chives. Yum. Thanks :)"
"This was really easy and delicious. I don't recommend using celery flakes with this recipe though. They do not have enough cooking time to rehydrate well. Bit I added ham which is a favorite in our potato soups,"
"Prep time quite a bit longer than 10 minutes stated on recipe.Tasty"
"Really good. I used No chicken, chicken broth so it had that taste but was vegetarian. My guests loved it."
"Easy and very good."