- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
"I absolutely adore this recipe, it's the only potato soup recipe I'll use. I got a new phone and lost all my bookmarked pages, so I scoured the internet until I found it again.Anyway, I make this recipe almost exactly the way the instructions say. However, with experience I now do the carrots first before everything and boil them for ten minutes or more while I prep the rest of the produce because they never soften enough for me when I boil them with the potatoes.I also bake some bacon and crumble it for a yummy topper, along with yellow cheese and sour cream."
"Made this soup today. It is delicious! I did use chicken broth as was suggested by another reviewer. My husband says it's a keeper!"
"Made this soup tonight for dinner to accompany BLT's and it was a hit . My family can be finicky but my son said it was really good. Only used 4 stalks of celery, cut the potatoes into medium chunks rather than slices and sprinkled in a bit of garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stirred in about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar at the end. This made enough for leftovers for lunch tomorrow."
"just made this soup, added 1 cup of shredded sharp cheese and 3/4c of crispy bacon, my husband had 2 bowls it was that good!"
"Ignore the star as haven't made this. Is this white or red potatoes sounds delicious."
"Delicious. I added about half can of Swanson chicken broth. I used 2% milk. Worked out fine"
"I think this lacked something. If agree on the chicken broth suggestion and I had to add some Monteret Jack cheese to give it some zip."
"Good soup for rainy days.....and quick."
"Delicious, fast and easy to make. only used 1tbsp of flour, blended with a bit of milk. Didn't need 6. 0nly 1 tbsp of butter at the beginning whilst cooking the onion and 3 ribs of celery. Having done this, didn't need to remove the veggies to complete the soup."
"I didn't have 6 stalks of celery so I only used 3 and I also used 1% milk; it was delicious!"