Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
"great soup - have used it for years - added a leek to it which gave it a little more intense taste."
"My husband asked me if it was hard to make. When I said no, he said good, you can make this again."
"I made this for my daughter who has a vegetarian diet. She really liked it. I made it as written except I omitted carrots. It was MMMMM! MMMM! Good!"
"Outstanding blend of flavors. Needed a bit more salt and pepper for our taste. Other than that, it was a winner! Perfect for a cold winter evening."
"A great quick soup. I lessened the butter and flour to 5 tbsp. This is a keeper!"