- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
"I love love love this soup!!! My momma would make it for us when we were kids as a cheap, easy meal that would leave all five of us scraping the bottom of the pan for more! This recipe was AMAZING AND TOOK MY POTATO SOUP LONGINGS TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF SATISFACTION!!! thank you thank you!!!!!"
"To make more flavorful, instead of cooking the potatoes and veggies in water, use milk, just enough to cover and then cook slowly. At the end, add two or three hardboard eggs, sliced or diced. You get more flavor since the water dilutes the flavor. Don't peal and get more vitamins."
"I absolutely adore this recipe, it's the only potato soup recipe I'll use. I got a new phone and lost all my bookmarked pages, so I scoured the internet until I found it again.Anyway, I make this recipe almost exactly the way the instructions say. However, with experience I now do the carrots first before everything and boil them for ten minutes or more while I prep the rest of the produce because they never soften enough for me when I boil them with the potatoes.I also bake some bacon and crumble it for a yummy topper, along with yellow cheese and sour cream."
"Made this soup today. It is delicious! I did use chicken broth as was suggested by another reviewer. My husband says it's a keeper!"
"Made this soup tonight for dinner to accompany BLT's and it was a hit . My family can be finicky but my son said it was really good. Only used 4 stalks of celery, cut the potatoes into medium chunks rather than slices and sprinkled in a bit of garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stirred in about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar at the end. This made enough for leftovers for lunch tomorrow."
"just made this soup, added 1 cup of shredded sharp cheese and 3/4c of crispy bacon, my husband had 2 bowls it was that good!"
"Ignore the star as haven't made this. Is this white or red potatoes sounds delicious."
"Delicious. I added about half can of Swanson chicken broth. I used 2% milk. Worked out fine"
"I think this lacked something. If agree on the chicken broth suggestion and I had to add some Monteret Jack cheese to give it some zip."
"Good soup for rainy days.....and quick."