Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup(46)
Sort By :
This was the quickest and best potato soup I've tried. I used chicken broth, whole milk and a little sour cream. I cubed the potato instead of slicing, used half the amount of celery, but added some celery salt. Topped with shredded cheddar, sliced green onions and coarse ground black pepper after it was in bowls and ready to serve.
Very good but I did make changes: 4 Cups chicken stock instead of water. Did not discard any of it. 2 cups half & half instead of 1-1/2 milk. Added some broccoli and cubed zucchini that I had left over and a bit of chopped red pepper. Total veggies is about 8 cups. My husband wanted meat incorporated somehow, so I added fried, sliced Italian mild sausage to final product. Served with homemade bread. Will make again. I think this is casual company worthy. My thanks to Gladys DeBoer for this recipe.
Very good and nice flavor , next time i will add bacon =)
I made this tonight only I substituted the water for chicken broth, delicious! The family loved it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >