Hearty Potato Soup
Having grown up on a dairy farm in Holland, I love our country life in here Idaho's "potato country". My favorite potato soup originally called for heavy cream and bacon fat, but I've trimmed down the recipe.
Gladys DeBoer, Castleford, Idaho
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until
- tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting
- vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked
- vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup
- is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).