- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
"Delicious. I added about half can of Swanson chicken broth. I used 2% milk. Worked out fine"
"I think this lacked something. If agree on the chicken broth suggestion and I had to add some Monteret Jack cheese to give it some zip."
"Good soup for rainy days.....and quick."
"Delicious, fast and easy to make. only used 1tbsp of flour, blended with a bit of milk. Didn't need 6. 0nly 1 tbsp of butter at the beginning whilst cooking the onion and 3 ribs of celery. Having done this, didn't need to remove the veggies to complete the soup."
"I didn't have 6 stalks of celery so I only used 3 and I also used 1% milk; it was delicious!"