- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
"I absolutely adore this recipe, it's the only potato soup recipe I'll use. I got a new phone and lost all my bookmarked pages, so I scoured the internet until I found it again.Anyway, I make this recipe almost exactly the way the instructions say. However, with experience I now do the carrots first before everything and boil them for ten minutes or more while I prep the rest of the produce because they never soften enough for me when I boil them with the potatoes.I also bake some bacon and crumble it for a yummy topper, along with yellow cheese and sour cream."
"Made this soup today. It is delicious! I did use chicken broth as was suggested by another reviewer. My husband says it's a keeper!"
"Made this soup tonight for dinner to accompany BLT's and it was a hit . My family can be finicky but my son said it was really good. Only used 4 stalks of celery, cut the potatoes into medium chunks rather than slices and sprinkled in a bit of garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stirred in about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar at the end. This made enough for leftovers for lunch tomorrow."
"just made this soup, added 1 cup of shredded sharp cheese and 3/4c of crispy bacon, my husband had 2 bowls it was that good!"
"Ignore the star as haven't made this. Is this white or red potatoes sounds delicious."