Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
It is a delicious recipe with chicken broth.
My son and I followed the recipe, but added a cup of ham (Easter) when we added the potatoes and veggies back to the pan. I also added some garlic and used a can of Stock instead of the cooking liquid. Planning to add cheese and sour cream on top in our bowls.
Absolutely Delicious! It was so easy to make!
I made this and it was delicious. I used Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped green onions, 4 c. vegetable broth, 4 c. water. After it was all mixed I stirred in some shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, Velveeta, and some sour cream - didn't measure these. Would have added bacon, but didn't have any. When in the bowl I stirred in some dried chopped chives. I will definitely make this soup again.