Having grown up on a dairy farm in Holland, I love our country life here in Idaho's "potato country." My favorite potato soup originally called for heavy cream and bacon fat, but I've trimmed down the recipe. —Gladys DeBoer, Castleford, Idaho
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Potato Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1993, p33
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review