Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
Sort By :
"Prep time quite a bit longer than 10 minutes stated on recipe.Tasty"
"Really good. I used No chicken, chicken broth so it had that taste but was vegetarian. My guests loved it."
"Easy and very good."
"I liked this. I omitted celery and just added the onion near the end of boiling the vegetables, and I didn't add butter when creating the flour/milk mixture. I wonder if it will turn out as good the next time I go to make it. I was nervous about not having chicken broth, but now I know that's not even necessary."
"great soup - have used it for years - added a leek to it which gave it a little more intense taste."