- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Potato Soup
"This was a good base recipe. I will make it again with a few adjustments to add more flavor. I added a sprig of rosemary in the water with the vegetables to add flavor. Next time I will try also cooking the vegetables in broth and seasoning more heavily. We served it topped with crumbled turkey bacon and cheese."
"This is the easiest and the best potato soup, can easily make it into a great Clam Chowder..."
"The prep time is more like 25 minutes. Still quick and easy though."
"To make more flavorful, instead of cooking the potatoes and veggies in water, use milk, just enough to cover and then cook slowly. At the end, add two or three hardboard eggs, sliced or diced. You get more flavor since the water dilutes the flavor. Don't peal and get more vitamins."
"I absolutely adore this recipe, it's the only potato soup recipe I'll use. I got a new phone and lost all my bookmarked pages, so I scoured the internet until I found it again.Anyway, I make this recipe almost exactly the way the instructions say. However, with experience I now do the carrots first before everything and boil them for ten minutes or more while I prep the rest of the produce because they never soften enough for me when I boil them with the potatoes.I also bake some bacon and crumble it for a yummy topper, along with yellow cheese and sour cream."
"Made this soup tonight for dinner to accompany BLT's and it was a hit . My family can be finicky but my son said it was really good. Only used 4 stalks of celery, cut the potatoes into medium chunks rather than slices and sprinkled in a bit of garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stirred in about 1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar at the end. This made enough for leftovers for lunch tomorrow."