This spicy slow-cooked stew from Rebecca Overy of Evanston, Wyoming combines tender chunks of pork with colorful tomatoes and green peppers. "I garnish bowls of it with chopped hard-cooked eggs and green onions," she adds.
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve in bowls with noodles.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pork Stew in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p35
Reviews for Hearty Pork Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review