Hearty Pork Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream and egg; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown pork in drippings. Add onions ; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper and allspice; stir until blended. Add the water, bouillon, parsley and bacon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 4. Divide dough in half; roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate; trim pastry even with edge. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of plate; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry; brush with cream.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 470 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Pork Pie
"My kids and their friends loved this pie. The crust is perfect with the meat filling. I will cut the salt in half next time since the bacon makes it quite salty."