My family adores this pie, especially at holiday time. The dough is easy to work with, and the wonderful aroma calls everyone to the table, so I don't have to!—Sue Bacon, Glencoe, Minnesota
Recommended: 20 Classic Comfort Food Dinners
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream and egg; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown pork in drippings. Add onions ; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper and allspice; stir until blended. Add the water, bouillon, parsley and bacon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Divide dough in half; roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate; trim pastry even with edge. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of plate; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry; brush with cream.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pork Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p185
Reviews for Hearty Pork Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review