"This sweet chunky mixture tastes great as a main dish with French bread or corn bread," reports Janice Toms, Saline, Louisiana. "It's also a good side dish to serve at a barbecue or potluck."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 main-dish servings or 12 side-dish servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pork N Beans in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p43
Reviews for Hearty Pork N Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 21, 2011
"I have made this recipe as is for dinner, but have also adapted it to make a large amount on several occasions. I am asked to bring this to nearly every event we attend during the summer months and have shared the recipe with many others."