"This sweet chunky mixture tastes great as a main dish with French bread or corn bread," reports Janice Toms, Saline, Louisiana. "It's also a good side dish to serve at a barbecue or potluck."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 main-dish servings or 12 side-dish servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pork N Beans in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p43
Reviews for Hearty Pork N Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 21, 2011
"I have made this recipe as is for dinner, but have also adapted it to make a large amount on several occasions. I am asked to bring this to nearly every event we attend during the summer months and have shared the recipe with many others."