Hearty Poppers Recipe
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1-1/3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut jalapenos in half lengthwise, leaving stems intact; discard seeds. Set aside. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1/3 cup cheese, cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in turkey mixture. Spoon generously into pepper halves.
- 3. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes for spicy flavor, 30 minutes for medium and 40 minutes for mild. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 38 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 lean meat.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.