“There are many recipes for jalapeno pepper poppers here in Las Cruces, New Mexico, where we live,” writes Janice Vernon. “For a potluck at our church, my husband and I came up with this lighter version. The poppers were a hit!”
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1-1/3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut jalapenos in half lengthwise, leaving stems intact; discard seeds. Set aside. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1/3 cup cheese, cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in turkey mixture. Spoon generously into pepper halves.
- Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes for spicy flavor, 30 minutes for medium and 40 minutes for mild. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Hearty Poppers in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p30
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Hearty Poppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review