“This cheesy, meaty meal is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time,” says Barbara Walker of Brookville, Kansas. “Downsizing it allows me to enjoy it more often.”
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, olives, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Drain macaroni; add to meat mixture. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pizza Casserole in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p33
Reviews for Hearty Pizza Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review