- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 6 small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, olives, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Drain macaroni; add to meat mixture. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Pizza Casserole
Sort By :
This is FANTASTIC! I've made it several times. This recipe can be used as a base for almost anything you would normally put on your pizza. I added mild peppers last time and I hope to use artichoke hearts next time. Spaghetti sauce & pizza sauce work well in a pinch when plain tomato sauce isn't handy. In fact, it might be better, because you don't need to add the seasoning. The only suggestion I have is to mix some cheese in with the casserole in addition to putting in on top. I made this for a friend's family when she had a baby. She asked me for the recipe and her husband told me twice how much he liked it. I currently have two small casseroles in the freezer :)
This dish was pretty good, but nothing special. It needed more sauce and seasonings, in my opinion.
didn't have Italian seasoning but made my own with basil and oregano. upped it a bit due to reviews stating it was bland. seasoned just perfect with my own mix of seasoning.
A little too bland
I doubled this for my family of three and had one helping of leftovers for a lunch.