Hearty Pita Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup taco sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado and additional taco sauce, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, corn, taco sauce, olives and seasonings; heat through.
- 2. Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pita half. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with avocado and additional taco sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 339 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 787mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Hearty Pita Tacos
"We used tortillas instead since the store I went to didn't have any pita bread. I thought the filling was quite tasty, but I had added more taco sauce to it. Those are the only changes I made. I will make this again and add some more seasoning."
"How in the world do you get the filing in the Pita bread like that. I'm lucky if I can get half that much in before they split. Usually have filling falling all over the plate and all over me when I try to eat them. Shirley"
"It was ok... like the packaged taco mix better."