Hearty Pepperoni Pizza Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in mushrooms, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Drain pasta; stir into meat sauce.
- 3. Divide half of the mixture between two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top each with pepperoni and Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
1 each: 296 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
"OH my!!!! This is so yummy!"
"Great recipe. My colleagues thought this was wonderful."
"My sons favorite!!! Check my blog out for more recipes www.gertysgoods871.blogspot.com"
"M family loved this recipe! I added black olives and green pepper. This recipe could be made healthier by simply adjusting the ingredients (wheat pasta, ground turkey, low fat cheese etc.). The bad rating based on the saturated fat content is wrong. Plus Heidimotsch doesn't mention this is a recipe for 2 meals!"
"This is a good example of why so many Americans are overweight - 2 pounds of ground beef, 4 1/2 cups of cheese AND a whole package of pepperoni? I could have poured the grease of the top there was so much. It would be pretty good if lightened up, but as is, too unhealthy and full of saturated fat."
"I love recipes that easily make 2 batches. This is delicious and easy to bake. Turkey pepperoni works great.~ Theresa"
"This was very easy and delicious. It does make a lot. I used extra hamburger...yummy!"
"Yummy!!!!! It is easy to make, and the whole family loves it :)"
"Hubby & I loved it, but it sure makes a lot! Like the idea of making up all the sauce & freezing half of it for the next time."
"I decided to try this because my 2 yr old daughter is crazy about pepperoni right now so I thought it might get her interest. We really enjoyed it, it's like a simple lasagna more than pizza. The best part is I cooked the whole amount of sauce but only half of the noodles. I'm freezing the other half of the sauce and will have a quick meal on hand for later!"
"I make this recopie all the time. However, I divided into 3 8x8 pans, since there is just 2 of us."
"This recipe was not great. The grated Parmesan on top makes it taste gritty!"
"This recipe was dry. I cut up and mixed pepperoni in w/everything else. My husband tho't it was tasteless. I wouldn't make it again but I did salvage it by putting it in the slow cooker and making soup from it. Added tomatoes, ripe olives and veggies, and that was tasty. I'd make the soup again using the casserole ingredients."
"Great tasting and easy to make. We loved it!"
"Loved it. Made a few changes in the pizza ingredients to suit our family. Have made several times each time with using a variety of pizza topping ingredients. Great no matter what."
"Not quite sure if I will make it again or not. It was good and not hard to make but the kids tasted it and still would not eat it. They wanted to know why I didn't just make pizza or lasagne. At least the husband and I liked it."
"This is a really good, easy recipe. I will definitely remember this as a back upMichelle"
"I cheat and use my favorite natural spaghetti sauce instead of the tomato sauce, pizza sauce,and tomato paste and spices."
"I would imagine you could cut this up into double servings and freeze it...."
"I have made it and my recipe is a little different but you can subtract and add what you want! Things such as Canadian bacon is good in there too! You can make it as large or small of a casserole as you wish!"
"Sounds like a real good recipe. I would love to make it, though for 2 people. Can anyone convert it so I can make it for 2? Thank you."
"forgive me. Didn't see the "each" at the end."
"Correct your math. 2(11x7) pans would be 8 nservings of 5 1/2"x3 1/2" pieces"
"This recipe looks and sounds great until you do the math...296 calories for a square that is only about 1 3/4" x 2 3/4"? A little to fattening for me! I think I'll have to give it a try with with a few tweaks to make it healthier!"