Here's a hefty, make-ahead strata that's as satisfying and delicious for dinner as it is for breakfast. You'll want to give this test kitchen recipe a try!
Recommended: 30 Breakfast for Dinner Recipes
- 9 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pepper Strata in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p29
Reviews for Hearty Pepper Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2011
"Easy and delicious. Great lot-fat recipe."