Hearty Pepper Strata Recipe
- 9 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 283 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 228 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.