Hearty Pepper Strata Recipe
Here's a hefty, make-ahead strata that's as satisfying and delicious for dinner as it is for breakfast. You'll want to give this test kitchen recipe a try!
- 9 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pepper Strata in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Hearty Pepper Strata(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >