This is comfort food at its finest! The best of everything is found here—it's tasty, easy and a great way to sneak some spinach in for extra nutrition. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato puree, broth, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add spinach; cook for 1-2 minutes or until wilted.
Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pasta mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Penne Beef in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p10
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Penne Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review