- 1-3/4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato puree, broth, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add spinach; cook for 1-2 minutes or until wilted.
- Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Penne Beef
Sort By :
"Great recipe! I made it exactly like stated in the recipe."
"I Like this recipe because of the spinach addition. Anything toil make it a bit healthier and get some greens into my kid is a good thing. Everyone enjoyed this, but I did do some tweaking, because one can tell it would be fairly bland without a bit of help. First off, the amount of pasta is fine. Remember this is uncooked pasta, so the amount doubles when cooked. YSou do not want more pasta, because that would mean less sauce. I added an onion an a shallot I just happened to have to the beef, doubled the garlic and instead of a whole can of broth, I did about 4oz of broth and 4oz of red wine. Smelled fantastic. Also don't forget as a cook, you should always salt at every level, not just add the tiny amount to the sauce. So that helps with the seasoning of the dish."
"After reading everyone's notes I decided to do a little adjusting. I was in need of a fast dinner with few ingredients for a meal for 4 adults.4 cups of penne pasta, 1 pound beef, granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste, Italian seasoning, 1 (24oz) can of Garlic & Herb pasta sauce, 1/2 (15oz) can of beef broth, and 2 cups of mozzarella, 2 cups fresh of sliced mushrooms, 2 cups fresh chopped spinach...The dish turned out very good and we had left overs!"
"Very good recipe. I added more pasta because what the recipe called for was way too little!"
"This was a good recipe. I found the amount of liquid to be too much. I would make this again, but next time I would reduce the amount of beef broth by half. Also, I liked a previous reviewer's suggestion to add chopped onion and green pepper to the recipe and would probably do that as well."