- 1-3/4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato puree, broth, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add spinach; cook for 1-2 minutes or until wilted.
Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pasta mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Penne Beef
"Very good! We make this often in our home!"
":( My DH didn't care for it. So disappointed. :("
"This is excellent! Based on other suggestions, I reduced the beef broth to 1/2 can and added 1/2 onion and 2 cups mushrooms. We will be eating this again!"
"I feel that there was some confusion about the pasta being cooked or not cooked before adding all ingredients together. I would change how much broth and puree I would use since I cooked the pasta, and add I would add some onions and mushrooms next time I make it. The sauce was fantastic and the "Huney" said it tasted good."
"Great recipe! I made it exactly like stated in the recipe."
"I Like this recipe because of the spinach addition. Anything toil make it a bit healthier and get some greens into my kid is a good thing. Everyone enjoyed this, but I did do some tweaking, because one can tell it would be fairly bland without a bit of help. First off, the amount of pasta is fine. Remember this is uncooked pasta, so the amount doubles when cooked. YSou do not want more pasta, because that would mean less sauce. I added an onion an a shallot I just happened to have to the beef, doubled the garlic and instead of a whole can of broth, I did about 4oz of broth and 4oz of red wine. Smelled fantastic. Also don't forget as a cook, you should always salt at every level, not just add the tiny amount to the sauce. So that helps with the seasoning of the dish."
"After reading everyone's notes I decided to do a little adjusting. I was in need of a fast dinner with few ingredients for a meal for 4 adults.4 cups of penne pasta, 1 pound beef, granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste, Italian seasoning, 1 (24oz) can of Garlic & Herb pasta sauce, 1/2 (15oz) can of beef broth, and 2 cups of mozzarella, 2 cups fresh of sliced mushrooms, 2 cups fresh chopped spinach...The dish turned out very good and we had left overs!"