Hearty Pasta Soup Mix Recipe
Warm up loved ones on frosty winter nights with a gift of this hearty, stick-to-the-ribs soup mix from our Test Kitchen. Layered in pretty bow-tied jars, it looks just as good as it tastes! Be sure to include preparation instructions and a list of any additional ingredients needed with your gift card.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:14 servings
- 1/2 cup dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 envelope savory herb with garlic soup mix or vegetable soup mix
- 2 cups uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 10 cups water
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a 1-qt. glass container, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Place the pasta in a 1-qt. resealable plastic bag; add to the jar. Seal tightly. Yield: 1 batch (4 cups).
- 2. To prepare soup: Remove pasta from top of jar and set aside. Place water in a Dutch oven; stir in soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the chicken, tomatoes and pasta. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes longer or until pasta, peas and lentils are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 173 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 613 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC