- 1/2 cup dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 envelope savory herb with garlic soup mix or vegetable soup mix
- 2 cups uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 10 cups water
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1-qt. glass container, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Place the pasta in a 1-qt. resealable plastic bag; add to the jar. Seal tightly. Yield: 1 batch (4 cups).
- To prepare soup: Remove pasta from top of jar and set aside. Place water in a Dutch oven; stir in soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the chicken, tomatoes and pasta. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes longer or until pasta, peas and lentils are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Pasta Soup Mix
Sort By :
"This is good soup. I made only a half recipe since a full recipe would be too much for us. Rather than using cooked chicken, I used an 8 oz. can of mushroom pieces, rinsed and drained, for a meatless version of this soup. It was a thick and hearty soup. Using the half recipe amounts, we had four meal-size servings of this soup."
"I received this as a gift. I did not have any chicken on hand, so I used 1/2 lb of smoked sausage. It was delicious! I plan to make this as gifts next year."
"I made these jars for Christmas gifts this year. I actually cooked up a pot of the soup before giving the jars to my friends - and I found it to be quite tasty (maybe not the all time best soup I've ever had - but very good.)I used the savory herb with garlic soup mix - not the vegetable one.I suggest buying the wide mouth jars -for easy of filling/emptying. I succeeded in finding the jars at a local thrift shop, then just purchased the (new) metal lids at the grocery store. I decorated the tops with fabric squares, ribbon, and cards. My total cost per jar was apx $5-$6 and they were well received gifts."