- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 8 celery ribs, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
- 5 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add broth, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, onions, celery, carrots, beans, oregano, pepper and pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add pasta and parsley; simmer, covered, 10-14 minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 24 servings (7-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Pasta Fajioli
"Sorry for double review."
"We had this delicious soup for diner tonight. I only made several changes. I did pare it down for the two of us. Also, I used only kidney beans and ditalini pasta. We will be having this again. I highly recommend this recipe. (I am having trouble with this review. It keeps posting double so if there are two reviews, that is why. Also, there are supposed to be five gold stars.)"
"DH made this today using bulk sausage (from the market with a sale tag) and without beans since we had just finished "Skillet Cassoulet" from TOH...wonderful! I love soup in winter!"
"My sister made this delicious soup for us to eat while we were decorating the Christmas tree. She followed the recipe exactly except she did not have any carrots. It was a nice hearty soup with a wonderful Italian flavor. We served it with Italian bread for dunking. I'd recommend this soup anytime! Especially on a cold damp day ....... wonderful "comfort food" soup."