Hearty Pasta Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (13-1/4 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the squash, brussels sprouts and onion; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Drain pasta and return to the pan. Add sausage mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Asiago and roasted vegetables.
- 4. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 416 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Pasta Casserole
"Ok, not great."
"Loved this recipe. Even got my 4 year old to clean his plate even. I microwaved the brussel sprouts, squash, and onions instead of baking which saved quite a bit of time. I have already made it again."
"I thought this was pretty good- but a lot of work for something that's not fabulous. Next time I will probably just make it with spaghetti sauce. It could use some more seasonings & definitely some salt."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.