Loaded with colorful, flavorful roasted veggies, this recipe became an instant hit with us when it was developed in the Country Woman test kitchen. This rustic Italian-inspired casserole is also the perfect main dish "to go": it transports easily and retains heat well. A great make-ahead, too!
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (13-1/4 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, brussels sprouts and onion; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta and return to the pan. Add sausage mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Asiago and roasted vegetables.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Pasta Casserole in Country Woman November/December 2005, p37
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Pasta Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review