I had paella for the first time in Spain. And it was so good, I've been on the quest to re-create the rich flavors of that dish ever since. We love the shrimp, chicken, veggie and olives in this easy make-at-home version.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 12 pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 medium lemon, cut into six wedges
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Add rice and onion to the pan; cook until rice is lightly browned and onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, saffron and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, peas and olives. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender, shrimp turn pink and liquid is absorbed. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Paella in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p37
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Paella
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review