Hearty Oxtail Soup
I created this recipe on the spur of the moment for a friend who was coming to visit. I knew she enjoyed soup, so I decided to liven up my usual vegetable soup by adding oxtails. Little did I know, oxtails were her favorite and she hadn't had them for years! Was she pleased when I sent the leftovers home with her!
24 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3-1/4 min.
- 2 pounds oxtails or meaty beef shanks
- 1-1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a stockpot, saute the oxtails, carrots, onion, celery, leeks and
- green pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the
- tomatoes, bouillon, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil. Skim off
- any foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the
- meat is tender.
- Stir in barley; cover and continue to simmer until tender, about 1
- hour. Add additional water if necessary.
- Remove oxtails; set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat