- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted berries, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupful onto a hot griddle that has been coated with cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with berries if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes
"We like our pancakes a little thicker, so I ease up on the milk."
"These make a lot and I love that they have oats in them. I usually make them using gluten free all purpose flour so hubby can eat them. I have also made them using reduced fat milk and applesauce instead of oil."
"Most store-bought pancake mix is so high in sodium we turn to this recipe for a healthier alternative. I keep the dry ingredients, omitting the salt, in an airtight container to have" at the ready" for ease of preparation. Buttermilk gives the pancakes that light & fluffy texture.I sometimes add a hint of cinnamon or cinnamon sugar to make them special."
"Even my husband who doesn't care for pancakes liked this recipe!!"
"This turned out fantabulous! I added a little water to thin it out some only to have it serve more than 4 servings. It did and they still came out fluffy...SCORE!"