Hearty Oat Loaf
I like to serve wedges of this bread with stew or bean soup. My husband thinks it's a big treatlittle does he know how easy it is to make. My children eat it for breakfast the next day with butter and strawberry jam.
Judi Havens of Denton, Texas
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking
- powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil;
- stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread batter into
- an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle
- with remaining oats.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (10 wedges).
Nutritional Facts: One wedge equals 229 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.