Hearty Oat Loaf Recipe
I like to serve wedges of this bread with stew or bean soup. My husband thinks it's a big treat—little does he know how easy it is to make. My children eat it for breakfast the next day with butter and strawberry jam. —Judi Havens of Denton, Texas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread batter into an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (10 wedges).
One wedge equals 229 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC