- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread batter into an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (10 wedges).
Reviews for Hearty Oat Loaf
"I've been making this for years. In fact, I'm making it right now! :) We love it with chili or soup. This is a family favorite!"
"This bread has been a favorite for many years! I love how healthy and hearty it is. Perfect with a bowl of soup!"
"Love this recipie! I add all sorts of stuuf to it for a variety....cheese, basil, rosemary, ect"
"Very easy to make. My children really liked it."
"I think this recipe could be better with some alterations. Mine was rather crumbly and seemed to be lacking in flavor. So next time I think I'll use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or maybe more, and reduce the all-purpose then. I also might substitute brown sugar for the white sugar to enhance the flavor. I would still try this recipe again though, since I think it could be very good if the recipe was tweaked a bit."