Hearty Oat Loaf Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread batter into an 8- or 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining oats.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (10 wedges).
Reviews for Hearty Oat Loaf
Sort By :
This bread has been a favorite for many years! I love how healthy and hearty it is. Perfect with a bowl of soup!
Love this recipie! I add all sorts of stuuf to it for a variety....cheese, basil, rosemary, ect
Very easy to make. My children really liked it.
I think this recipe could be better with some alterations. Mine was rather crumbly and seemed to be lacking in flavor. So next time I think I'll use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or maybe more, and reduce the all-purpose then. I also might substitute brown sugar for the white sugar to enhance the flavor. I would still try this recipe again though, since I think it could be very good if the recipe was tweaked a bit.
It's a little crumbly but moist and a nice taste! Really quick to throw together if you're short on time.