Hearty New England Seafood Chowder Recipe
- 4 pounds haddock fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 pound bay scallops
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 3 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place haddock in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and scallops; simmer 10 minutes longer. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; set liquid and seafood aside.
- In a soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. In the drippings, saute onions until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add potatoes; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the milk, seafood, butter, parsley, salt, lemon-pepper and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty New England Seafood Chowder
Sort By :
We love this chowder and I make it for potlucks too! >"<
Great recipe, I did add a little more flour as we like it a bit more thicker. Flavor and taste was so nice would defintely make it again. One of the better ones we have tried.