Hearty New England Seafood Chowder Recipe
- 4 pounds haddock fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 pound bay scallops
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 3 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place haddock in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and scallops; simmer 10 minutes longer. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; set liquid and seafood aside.
- 2. In a soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. In the drippings, saute onions until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add potatoes; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Add the milk, seafood, butter, parsley, salt, lemon-pepper and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 237 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Hearty New England Seafood Chowder
"I was disappointed with this recipe. The broth was very thin, and I thought it needed more flavor. The next time I make it, I will definitely use more flour and spices. The broth was the texture of soup; not a chowder."
"We love this chowder and I make it for potlucks too! >"<"
"Great recipe, I did add a little more flour as we like it a bit more thicker. Flavor and taste was so nice would defintely make it again. One of the better ones we have tried."