- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Place the carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half. Place roast over vegetables; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the soup mix, water, vinegar and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef and keep warm; discard bay leaf. Add cabbage. Cover and cook on high for 30-40 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour and onion. Skim fat from cooking liquid in slow cooker. Add 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid to the saucepan. Stir in horseradish and remaining salt; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Hearty New England Dinner
"This roast is the horseradish gravy is awesome!!"
"WE love this recipe! My 7 yo loves it as well. Only thing I do different is I only cook the cabbage about 20 minutes as we prefer it crisper!"
"So easy and nicely flavored. I cooked it longer (a total of 12 hours) and it was so tender even my mom, who has trouble chewing could eat it."
"This is a good recipe but other than the horseradish it not a unique recipe. I currently don't have a crock pot so did this in the oven. The meat would probably have been more tender and moister in the MW."
"My favorite. I've made a few changes to fit my taste but even without my adjustments this dish would be good. A definite keeper."