This hearty dip is very filling! It's packed with fresh ingredients like avocados, tomatoes, onions and more.—V. Eleanor Dargo, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Chopped green onions and tomatoes
- Tortilla chips or raw vegetables
- In a large bowl, combine the refried beans, chilies, 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. Spread over a 14-in. platter. In another bowl, mash the avocados; add 1/4 cup onion, lemon juice, sugar, celery salt and cayenne. Spread over the bean layer.
- Combine 1 cup salsa, sour cream, mayonnaise, paprika, garlic powder, pepper sauce, oregano and remaining onion, cumin and chili powder. Spread over avocado layer; sprinkle with Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining salsa. Spread over cheeses. Sprinkle with the green onions and tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with chips or vegetables. Yield: 20-25 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Nacho Dip in Country Woman March/April 2002, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Hearty Nacho Dip
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review