I've been making this sweet and tangy meat loaf for my family for more than 25 years. It's even requested for company dinners. - Mary Ann Mertz, Westmont, Illinois
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid; set mushrooms aside. Add enough milk to mushroom liquid to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, combine the mushroom liquid, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, pepper and mushrooms. Crumble beef over the mixture; sprinkle bread crumbs over beef and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour; drain. Combine ketchup and corn syrup; spoon over loaf. Bake 15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Mushroom Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p42
Reviews for Hearty Mushroom Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2009
"My son, Greg, in AZ tried it first and thought it was delicious, so he passed the recipe on to me. My husband and I both thought it was wonderful and ....I thought it extremely easy to prepare:) Robin H."